Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Conversation with Avery

We were finished with lessons, doing the dishes together. It was a great winding down time. I am about to begin dinner and the sun is slipping through the blinds. The house is quiet except for me and Avery companionably working together. Trace is outside riding bikes and conquering the dark side with his light saber. Avery looks to be in deep thought.

Avery: "Mom, I think I know what I want to be when I grow up."
Me: "Really? Cool! What's that?"
Avery: "A mom."
Me: (with a truly touched look on my face because I think she loves me so much she can't think of anything that's better than being a mom when she grows up) "Av's, that's so sweet."
Avery: "Yeah, then I can boss my kids around and make them do the dishes and the chores."
Me: (with an arched eyebrow look) "Hmmm."
Avery: (quickly recovering her foot in mouth) "Oh, and to love them and kiss them and teach them." Silence. "Of course."

Of course. That goes without saying. Motherhood is such an underappreciated path in life. But then again, you get plenty of help with the dishes. *grin*

2 comments:

Kelly Curtis said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kelly Curtis said...

HAHAHA! That's such a true conversation. I've been involved in a few of those too. I think they're really quite innocent observations, too. It's only after they see our expression that "political correctness" seeps in;)