Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Why I Love Homeschooling

Today began normally...cuddles in bed, chores together, and for breakfast we began to make Banana Bread as we do about once a week. My little ones are helping measure and pour, still in their pajamas with sweet little bedheads and a mystery unfolds...

The recipe calls for 2 eggs. There are 3 in the carton. The first one we try cracks, but to our amazement it has been hard boiled. (Probably by Daddy earlier in the week.) Both my cooking assistants abandon their jobs to carry the egg around in a basket wrapped in a blanket pretending that "a baby chickadee is about to hatch." I finish the bread as they eat breakfast in a hushed whisper (not to wake the early hatching, yet somehow still sleeping egg.) I get our lessons prepared.

I usually hop in the shower while they begin their journals, but this morning I emerge from my shower to complete silence. I look around for a moment before discovering that they are outside (on North Texas's last 80 degree day in November-a cold front hits tomorrow dropping us to the 40's) still in pajamas, fervently coloring a self drawn map. I sit down and ask what they are doing.

"We are drawing the map to help the mommy find her baby egg." So I'm told. They busily use those imaginations to play for another hour on this glorious sunny day, laughing and playing together. I leave them to do some laundry.

I finish the laundry and enter the kitchen to find two dressed children busy doing geography together. Surprised, I ask, "What about playing outside?" to which Trace answers, "We are ready to get some work done now, Mom."

I am so glad they weren't in a classroom staring out the window imagining what they could be doing. I am so glad they are taking the initiative to be responsible. I am so glad that they played on the last sunny day we will see for awhile but still finished what we had planned for the day. I love being with my children, giving them freedom. I LOVE homeschooling.

2 comments:

Kelly Curtis said...

That is cool. I have to remind myself that when we veer off-course into unplanned territory, that IS the point.

Thanks for the reminder.

Sarah said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww! :-) Homeschooling really is such a blessing... I'm so glad you chose that blessing for your kids - they are gonna keep blessing you back!! *wink*