Thursday, November 16, 2006

WFMW (On Thurs)-Gingerbread Party!
















I know it's Thursday, really I do. But I thought of something I just had to share for the Works for me Wednesday Christmas Theme!

Every year in December, my mom has a Gingerbread Party for my kids. It has turned into our favorite Christmas tradition. Both my kiddos get so excited every December for the Gingerbread Party to arrive, and my husband and I usually enjoy a date on this night as the kids sleep over at my parents.

I used to do a Gingerbread theme in December when I taught, it was one of my absolute favorites!! (Besides the Polar Express party which is SO much fun, too :) We usually pick the second or third week in December. Gingerbread invitations go out for the date and time. Then the anticipation of the great event begins!


At the party, the festivities usually begin with hot chocolate and a reading of The Gingerbread Man. Then the kids make gingerbread cookies. Usually girls and boys, and then gingerbread dogs, horses, and any other random shapes my kids think of! They get all the gingerbread trimmings, icing, red hot buttons, raisens, etc. and make tins full to take home and give out to friends and neighbors. And they eat a million.... :) The night usually ends with a Christmas movie.

My kids favorite part is that my sweet mom always gives them a special ornament for the tree. I love this idea so much that this year, having moved into a new neighborhood, we are going to host a gingerbread party for the neighborhood kids. (Except I will pre-make the dough for little hands.) We will drink hot chocolate, read the story, make our gingerbread men and then make gingerbread ornaments purchased from the craft store. (I found them at Walmart last year.)

I hope you might enjoy a gingerbread party this year! Here is our gingerbread man recipe:

2/3 cup shortening
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp ground ginger
pinch salt
3/4 cup molasses
1 egg
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

Cream together first 6 ingredients. Add egg and mix. Add molasses and mix again.
Mix together flour, baking powder and baking soda in a separate bowl. Sift. Add to the creamed mixture and stir until well blended. Chill 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375 F. Roll out dough 1/4 at a time to 1/8" thickness or slightly thicker on a lightly floured board. Cut with a cookie cutter and transfer to a greased (or non stick) cookie sheet.
Repeat with remaining dough. Before baking, decorate as you like.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a great idea! In my class we have read the gingerbread man, and my students absolutely love it! I might have to try this with my nephew next year when he is 4!

Rae said...

This is such a great idea..and gingerbread men are my absolute FAVORITE Christmas decorations! Thanks for sharing =)